So what would you do?

Thursday (27 weeks–start of 3rd trimester)

Tom and I went to see Dr. J. again. We had another ultrasound on both babies. Both still have strong heartbeats and baby A is still growing. She’s still way behind, but she’s definitely a little fighter. According to that day’s ultrasound, she was measuring about 23 weeks  and baby B was measuring about  25 weeks–4 and 2 weeks behind, respectively.  Tom and I both felt strongly that we’d like to try to get another amnio because we would like to have as much information at hand as possible. We both think that the possiblity of having more information is worthwhile, despite the risk of the procedure. Dr. J. agrees with us and happily gave us some more recommendations of perinatologists.

As for me, my blood pressure is still a little high so I’ve been diagnosed with pregnancy-induced hypertension. It’s possible that this can develop into pre-eclampsia, so I’ve been put on a blood pressure pill and am on bedrest now. The bp pill is really old–I have to take it 4 times a day and it makes me really tired. Between that and the phenergan (which, yes, I’m still taking for the vomiting, if you can believe it!) they knock me out so I’ve been sleeping a lot.

Friday

When I finally woke up on Friday (close to noon), I called one of the doctors off of the referral list. Once I explained to them a little bit about what was going on, they asked if I could come in at 1:30.  We got there on time, but still had to wait an hour to see the doctor (why they didn’t know at 12pm they were running so far behind is beyond me, but I digress…).

This doctor, S., did a very thorough ultrasound and according to his measurements, baby A measures 24 weeks and baby B measures 26 weeks.* He explained to us that baby A has “absent diastolic” blood flow through her cord and that this can be caused by the increase in my blood pressure. His advice was to put me in the hospital immediately so as to monitor baby A and then to deliver them as soon as she shows signs of distress. He did not think the amnio was necessary as, for him, the results won’t change the management of the pregnancy.

However, Tom and I feel that we need to know if there is a problem with baby A. If she has an abnormality that makes her “incompatible with life” then it will affect how we manage the pregnancy–we want to give baby B as much of a chance as possible as long as there’s no hope for baby A. But what if there is hope for baby A and she doesn’t have a life-threatening condition? Well, then we will have to make a decision about what to do. So that is why we insisted on having the amnio yesterday. Although it was very uncomfortable, it seemed to go well and, so far, no leakage! We ordered the rush job on the results, so we hope to know by Monday or Tuesday.

Dr. J. is in agreement with me and Tom. He thinks that if I were to go into the hospital right now, that baby A’s numbers would indicate that she needs to be delivered right away. With both of them being so small, they both would suffer all of the complications of being so premature and it would put both of their lives at risk of death or serious health and developmental problems.

And so we wait for the results of the amnio, and then we’ll think about what course to take.

Thank you all for the outpouring of support and love. It means so much to me knowing how many people care and I really appreciate all of the good thoughts and well wishes each of you has sent to us.

*Ultrasounds can be off by as much as 2 weeks. Factors such as human error (when measuring the parts of the baby) as well as the computer program itself can cause disparity in the measurements.


Advertisements

4 Comments

Filed under Babies

4 responses to “So what would you do?

  1. Trust your gut. I’m glad you insisted on the amnio. Don’t second guess yourself. Do whatever you and Tom feel is appropriate. I’m really inspired by your strength.

  2. Adana

    Heidi,

    Together, you and Tom are a mighty force. I think you’ve made all the right decisions. You have always been a very wise woman — You were just born that way. All you have to do is follow your heart, and everything will turn out for the best.

    You are incredibly brave for having gone through the amnio again. You are my hero. I love you!

  3. Lesley

    I think you’re doing right by yourselves and the babies. You’re already a fantastic mom. They told us Kaitlyn would be huge and I’d need a c-section for months. She was born average and long with no surgery. Take it one step at a time. I’m so glad baby A is hanging in there.

  4. Meg

    I’ll add another wonderfully healthy kid to the list up there of little ones who had worrisome beginnings. I was told because of the GD and early high blood sugar Maddie could have all these heart, lung, and brain defects. For several sonograms and for QUITE a while at the fetal echo-cardiogram they couldn’t find key elements that should have been present and measurable (she wasn’t cooperating, then shew as moving too much, big surprise!) We had all kinds of specialists up in our business…and she was absolutely fine and dandy.

    I have no idea what I would do in your situation, but I know for you guys it will work out in the end. Worry and learn as much as you can and pray and hope. The whole newborn thing will seem like a piece of cake after this, for sure. Love to you and Dad!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s